Incorrect initialization of surface pressure

Any SI problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category.

Incorrect initialization of surface pressure

Postby dakiesi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 pm


i'm a fairly new user to the WRF model. I'm trying to do some semi-idealized simulations with idealized initial conditions but using real terrain.

When i tried to get to know WRF, I stumbled upon something strange:

I unpacked a fresh WRF installation, successfully compiled it without any code modifications in the LES idealized mode. Now when I just want to do an "out-of-the-box" - run, that is take the default namelist and default input sounding, something seems to go wrong: in the input sounding, the first line represents the sate at the surface. By default, this is set to pressure = 1000.0 hPa, theta = 305.0 K, and mixing ratio = 14.00.

However, If I run ideal.exe with these settings and take a look at the wrfinput_d01 file, the surface pressure is equal to zero. I tried that with WRF 3.8.1 and 3.9.1, both same results. I tried it on my laptop, and I tried it on the linux cluster of my university.

My question is now: Is that a bug or do i make some trivial but stupid mistake here?

Thank you in advance for your help
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Incorrect initialization of surface pressure

Postby dakiesi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Nevermind, it was my mistake. :oops:

In case somebody runs into the same problem:

I just had to adequately set the displayed range in ncview, since it is initialized with 0 Pa but after one timestep it is set to the actual value
(Order(10.000 Pa)), the range starts at 0 and goes up to 10.000. With variations within 1-10 hPa-Scale, the temporal and spatial variation was not visible in this range.
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am

Return to Miscellaneous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest