NLCD 40 category error

Dataset specific topics involving WPS.

NLCD 40 category error

Postby jdm83 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:35 pm

I recently added the 2011 NLCD landuse dataset to my simulations, but noticed a very large 2-m temperature warm anomaly over category 33 which is 'Grassland/Herbaceous'. This did not make sense given that this category is nearly identical to surrounding categories in VEGPARM.TBL

Looking at the source code it seems that in module_sf_noahdrv.F the vegetation categories of 31, 32, and 33 are always being forced to ISURBAN regardless of the landuse dataset being used. I have sf_urban_physics=1 Is this a known bug or am I missing something? Thank you

Source code:
IF(SF_URBAN_PHYSICS == 1.OR. SF_URBAN_PHYSICS==2.OR.SF_URBAN_PHYSICS==3 ) THEN
IF( IVGTYP(I,J) == ISURBAN .or. IVGTYP(I,J) == 31 .or. &
IVGTYP(I,J) == 32 .or. IVGTYP(I,J) == 33) THEN
VEGTYP = NATURAL
ENDIF
ENDIF
ELSE
IF( IVGTYP(I,J) == ISURBAN .or. IVGTYP(I,J) == 31 .or. &
IVGTYP(I,J) == 32 .or. IVGTYP(I,J) == 33) THEN
VEGTYP = ISURBAN
ENDIF
ENDI
jdm83

use of NLCD data in WRF model

Postby rbehnke » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi,

I noticed that you have been able to incorporate NLCD data into your WRF runs. Would you be able to provide me with help/specific steps to do this? I would also like to do the same using 30m NED data. I would be happy to acknowledge your help on any papers/posters/talks that come out of our research, which involves running very high resolution models in NW MT, near Glacier National Park. Our goal is to use data taken from radiosondes and UAV's in WRF runs for fire prediction.

Thank you,

Ruben Behnke
University of MT, PhD Candidate
Autonomous Aerial Systems Office
608-843-3211
ruben.behnke@ntsg.umt.edu
rbehnke

Re: NLCD 40 category error

Postby akpattant » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Ruban,

NLCD data is already formatted for use in WPS. If you are looking to use 30 m topography data I can assist you. I have completed this already for several regions and have detailed instructions on how to accomplish this task. Please email me directly at andre.k.pattantyus.ctr@mail.mil.

Andre
akpattant

Return to Working with Various Datasets