Energy balance at surface with NOAH_MP

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

Energy balance at surface with NOAH_MP

Postby CMondejar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:18 pm

I ran a simulation with NOAH_MP as the land surface model. I'm trying to use the different energy fluxes from the output but I am having some problems obtaining energy balance at the surface.

Acording to the report of NOAH_MP, Niu, G.-Y., et al. (2011), The community Noah land surface model with multiparameterization options (Noah‐MP): 1.Model description and evaluation with local‐scale measurements,
J. Geophys. Res.,116, D12109, doi:10.1029/2010JD015139. (http://www.landsurface.org/publications ... d/J106.pdf p.4), the surface energy balance equation over a grid cell is: Sav+Sag=La+LE+H+G. When I try to use the same variables (SAV+SAG=FIRA+LH+HFX+GRDFLX) the result is not the same, sometimes with a difference of 10 W/m2 (hourly data).

If I try to calculate the equations 1,2,3 and 4 of the same report then I obtain some of them with the correct values, and some of them which don't fulfill the conditions.

So I was wondering if I've been using different variables, if there is any variable I am missing or maybe it is calculated in different timesteps or it just doesn't fit, but I would like to use some of those fluxes and I want to know that I'm choosing the good ones.

Any idea or suggestion would be appreciated.

Carlos
CMondejar

Return to Physics