Problems removing topography in WRF restart

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

Problems removing topography in WRF restart

Postby marcpace » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 am

hi wrfusers,

I am trying to remove topography over Taiwan in a WRF simulation where I restart from a prior run to simulate the effects on a typhoon traversing the region. The procedure I follow is to remove the topography (HGT_M, VAR_SSO, and SLOPECAT variables) in geogrid, re-run metgrid, then re-run real. I checked the geo.nc, met.nc files, and the real input files---all show the topography variables over the region as zeroed out. I then am sure to remove the topography from the wrfrst.nc file that the simulation is restarting from.

When I run the model however, the results do look slightly different than a simulation with topography but not significant given the drastic change (from having topo go from 3km to 0km). Similarly, the results still show a barrier of sorts when the wind/rainfield comes ashore. When I check the restart files created after the fact, I see that the topography is still 0 but the surface pressure over the island appears as if mountains are there as it is very low (~800mb) as is the sfc pressure in the met_em.nc files. My question is, am I properly removing the topography? Or are there other variables that also must be zeroed out to mimic a smooth island? And, is there some other definitive check I can perform to ensure that this simulation is actually not seeing the topography?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc
marcpace

Re: Problems removing topography in WRF restart

Postby 469711868 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi
I'm facing same problem.
Did you solve it?
I removed topography and test for precipitation. The terrian height is definitely removed but the precipitation is not changed.

Thanks!

Return to Physics