TC intensity errors using ERA-Interim Data

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

TC intensity errors using ERA-Interim Data

Postby adprest » Wed May 13, 2015 10:16 pm

I am a relatively new WRF user trying to simulate a super typhoon as part of my dissertation research. I am using ERA-Interim data (0.7 degree) as my initial and boundary conditions. The lowest MSLP that Typhoon Mireille reaches is 925 mb (Joint Typhoon Center Best Track) whereas my model simulation only reaches ~960 mb. Some of the physics parameterizations that I am using include:

Cumulus = Kain-Fritsch
Boundary Layer = YSU
Shortwave = Dudhia
Longwave = RRTM
Microphysics = WSM6

I am currently running the model with an outer domain of 27 km. I will eventually nest it to 9 and 3 km inner domains, respectively. However, I have taken a look at the ERA-Interim Reanalysis dataset and the lowest MSLP that the ERA-Interim produces is only 970 mb.

So my two questions are:
1) Will nesting help produce MSLP closer to observations?
2) Is the ERA-Interim data limiting the MSLP intensity of the storm?

I am going to look into running the TC bogus vortex (tc.exe) to see if that helps solve the problem. Any advice from users who have had successful TC simulations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ari
adprest

Re: TC intensity errors using ERA-Interim Data

Postby adprest » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 pm

I would really like to avoid using the TC bogus vortex scheme (tc.exe). Tweaking the model initialization time (i.e., using an earlier start time) has helped some but I would really appreciate advice from those that have successfully simulated an intense TC using the WRF ARW model. Are there any tips/tricks that help intensify the TC vortex?

Thanks,
Ari
adprest

Return to Physics