what output var SFCEVP is

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

what output var SFCEVP is

Postby marcpace » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi all,

I could not seem to find this answer anywhere, but is the output variable SFCEVP from the Noah LSM actually just the surface evaporation or does it include transpiration and hence is the evapotranspiration from the surface? Or, conversely, does ET need to be derived from the LH flux and transpiration the difference between LH and SFCEVP? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Marc
marcpace

Re: what output var SFCEVP is

Postby MeganMallard » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Found this thread while trying to find the same information about what exactly is in SFCEVP.

I did some looking around in the code of the LSM I'm using (Noah) in version 3.8. It looks like SFCEVP is set from QFX in module_surface_driver.F. Within Noah's source code (specifically the code within module_sf_noahlsm.F), you can find the variable QFX_PHY. QFX_PHY is set by summing together other evaporation & transpiration variables. Like this...
QFX_PHY = EDIR1+EC1+QFX_PHY
Here EDIR is direct soil moisture evaporation and EC is canopy water evaporation.

In a different spot in the code, the plant transpiration from root layers (ET) is also added in.
QFX_PHY = QFX_PHY + ET1(K)

Based on what I've found, I'd say that SFCEVP is meant to comprehensively represent evaporation and transpiration from all sources at the surface.
MeganMallard

Return to Physics