Lin et al evaporation removal

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

Lin et al evaporation removal

Postby jmarquis » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

I am trying to figure out how to remove latent cooling due to the evaporation of rain while using the lin et al microphys scheme (WRF v2). I want to keep evaporation of rain, but just remove the cooling effect on the temperature field. It looks like doing this is not as simple as it is in the Kessler scheme.
jmarquis

Re: Lin et al evaporation removal

Postby kmmahon2 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 pm

I am trying to do the exact same thing -- did you ever successfully turn it off?
Thanks for any help you can pass along!
kmmahon2

Postby jimmyc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:20 pm

You should be able to do this right in the microphysics scheme. There should be separate process terms. I know the WSM6 code was pretty easy to see identify the relevant terms as the code was commented somewhat well.

have you guys dug into the code? The reference papers from lin should help isolate the latent cooling terms. The trick will be to prevent the cooling due to evaporation by commenting out the appropriate lines of code.

jimmyc
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby kmmahon2 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Yes, I'm testing a couple of ways to do it now -- so far I'm not convinced I have completely isolated it (I think my initial attempts have turned off cooling due to other processes as well), but I will pass along what I find once I am sure it is correct.
It is true that WSM6 was fairly clear to find where to do it, but it seems the Lin scheme isn't quite as clear-cut -- there are a couple of arrays in question that may need to be changed. Hopefully I'll get it soon, and will pass it along!
kmmahon2

Postby jimmyc » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Great. I know I would be interested in seeing the code.
In WRFv3 there is a namelist flag which turns off diabatic heating from the microphysics. Perhaps there were additional comments added to the individual microphysics schemes to identify relevant processes.

One other minor hint may be to track the temperature variable that ends up being h_diabatic, probably ttend. perhaps then you can bea little more confident that specific processes were accounted for and commented out. Good Luck.

if you ever get stuck and need an extra eye on the code, let us know.
jimmyc
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby gaoyq » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 am

Hello ,DO you know how to remove latent cooling due to the evaporation of rain?
I am trying to do it!
if you have successfully turned it off,please let us konw
Thanks a lot in advance
gaoyq

Return to Physics