Thompson scheme - way too high precipitation

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

Thompson scheme - way too high precipitation

Postby bkmet » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am

dear all,

posting this question on request of a colleague:
We have done high-resolution, convection-resolving simulations (1 km) with the Thompson schemeWe get very high (too high) precipitation values, for different weather situations.
Are there any similar experiences and / or recommendations?
("h. New Thompson et al. scheme: A new scheme with ice, snow and graupel processes suitable for high-resolution simulations (8).")

I can provide more information if needed.

best, bkmet
bkmet

Re: Thompson scheme - way too high precipitation

Postby ankur572 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 am

I also tried with this scheme for my study area that is upstream into Himalaya. I found very very high precipitation for winters while moderately high for monsoon.
ankur572

Re: Thompson scheme - way too high precipitation

Postby leuthold » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:18 pm

From the SBUYLIN paper....

"The new scheme (called SBU-YLIN) has been implemented in the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model and compared with three other schemes for two events during the Improvement of Microphysical Parameterization through Observational Verification Experiment (IMPROVE-2) over the central Oregon Cascades. The new scheme produces surface precipitation forecasts comparable to more complicated BMPs. The new scheme reduces the snow amounts aloft as compared to other WRF schemes and compares better with observations, especially for an event with moderate riming aloft. "

In my experience, winter precipitation over higher terrain (intermountain west)is much improved.
leuthold

Return to Physics