Does VEGPARM.TBL control wind and temperature calculation?

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

Does VEGPARM.TBL control wind and temperature calculation?

Postby yuzuoing » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi,

I am a WRF new comer, I am confused by computational procedure relate to wind speed/direction and
temperature(or other indexes) in wrfout. After reading WRFusersguide, I probably find they have close
relationships with TBL(LANDUSE.TBL, SOILPARM.TBL, VEGPARM.TBL) files which can be invoked by specific
scripts, right? Specifically, do parameters such as ALBEDO, Z0, SHDFAC and LAI in TBL involve in wind and
temperature calculation?

Any details will be available!

Thanks
Fu
yuzuoing

Re: Does VEGPARM.TBL control wind and temperature calculatio

Postby twhilton » Fri May 31, 2019 11:15 am

Hi Fu,

ALBEDO and Z0 certainly influence temperature and wind direction indirectly, because they heavily influence the energy balance between the land surface and the atmosphere. SHDFAC and LAI would also influence this, though perhaps more indirectly.

The land surface model (NOAH, NOAH-MP, CLM, etc.) coupled to WRF (sf_surface_physics in namelist.input) will determine the details of those relationships and then pass latent and sensible heat fluxes back to WRF.

Section 5.3 of the CLM technical note (Oleson et al, 2004) describes the calculations in detail for CLM. I imagine the NOAH references (http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/phys_references.html) must provide that sort of information for NOAH.

Hope that helps some,
Tim

REFERENCES

Oleson, K. W., D. M. Lawrence, G. B, M. G. Flanner, E. Kluzek, P. J, S. Levis, S. C. Swenson, E. Thornton, J. Feddema, C. L. Heald, J.-F. Lamarque, G.-y. Niu, T. Qian, S. Running, K. Sakaguchi, L. Yang, X. Zeng, and X. Zeng (2010), Technical Description of version 4.0 of the Community Land Model (CLM), NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-478+STR, doi:10.5065/D6FB50WZ.
twhilton

Re: Does VEGPARM.TBL control wind and temperature calculatio

Postby yuzuoing » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Tim,

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for my late response. Now I am acquiring information for CLM, I feel this shceme may be availalbe for my research.

Fu
24 Oct,2019
yuzuoing

Return to Physics