Decoupling the source- and build- directories?

Ideas, problems or suggestions regarding the WRF software.

Decoupling the source- and build- directories?

Postby CarlPonder » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:14 pm

I want to be able to store the WRF .o and .mod files in a separate directory-tree from the WRF source files.
That way i can simultaneously build different WRF executables from the same sources, so I can study different optimization flags and MPI implementations.

The reason that I don't want to use separate copies of the source directories too is that (1) I'm making changes to the source files, and don't want to have to keep these in sync across all the directories, and (2) there are a *lot* of files in the WRF source-tree and this would waste a lot of disk space.

I've tried fiddling with the WRK makefiles and build scripts and it looks like I can get this to work, I would set two variables

SOURCE_PATH= ...
BUILD_PATH=...

By defaulting these to the top of the WRF tree, the builds would work like they normally do, and the change would be transparent to any of the users who don't care to do the decoupling.
It meant changing a few lines in ALL of the makefiles and build scripts, so it'd take some testing to make sure it would all work for everyone.

That said, how many of you users & developers think this would be a useful feature?
CarlPonder

Re: Decoupling the source- and build- directories?

Postby nsdecicco » Sun May 31, 2015 11:44 am

Apologies if this is a dead thread, but I'd just like to say that I think this would be an excellent improvement. It seems to me that the current WRF build system was created out of necessity more so than anything else. In particular, the build system is split up into a shell script and a perl script (instead of, say, a typical autoconf/configure/make process), and both are configured with a mix of flags, by-hand configuration file editing, and environment variables; (imho) there's some streamlining that could be done there.
nsdecicco

Return to Software Engineering