Temperature Sum or Degree Days online in WRF

Ideas, problems or suggestions regarding the WRF software.

Temperature Sum or Degree Days online in WRF

Postby MichielvdMolen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 am

Hi,

For phenological purposes I'd like to calculate the Temperature Sum or Degree Days over a certain threshold temperature online in WRF. Although I have been searching, I can't find anything about it. I won't be the first to try this. Does anyone know how to do it?

I'd also like to write the variable to restart files, so I don't need to run an entire growing season in one run.

Thanks!
Michiel
MichielvdMolen

Re: Temperature Sum or Degree Days online in WRF

Postby malonso » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 am

Since the base for both of those is just the temperature, I think it would be simpler to handle that in post-processing, rather than trying to rewrite parts of the model.
malonso
Site Admin

Postby MichielvdMolen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:58 am

Thank you.
However, I want some process concerning the development of plants to depend on the temperature sum, which is why I'd like to do it online and not in post-processing.
Regards,
Michiel
MichielvdMolen

Postby malonso » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:10 am

Can you clarify what you mean by "online"? Do you mean on a website or within a model run?
malonso
Site Admin

Postby MichielvdMolen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 am

I mean within WRF.

E.g.: The release of pollen from trees or grasses depends on the temperature sum over a threshold, i.e. if the threshold is 283K, and a particular day has a maximum temperature of 288K, the temperature sum increases by 5K that day. If the temperature sum reaches let's say 70K after some time, the flowers will open and pollen will be released.

So temperature sum and pollen release are coupled, which is why I want them both to be available in WRF.

Thanks.
Michiel
MichielvdMolen

Postby malonso » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 am

Ohhhhhh, so want to tie in temperature to use WRF for (pollen) dispersion modeling?
malonso
Site Admin

Postby MichielvdMolen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:32 am

that's right
MichielvdMolen

Postby MichielvdMolen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 am

In the meantime I have done the following:

I added a variable field 'phenol' to WRF:
Code: Select all
state real -         ijf phenol 1 -   -                        -                 
state real tsum      ijf phenol 1 -   irh "Tsum"       "Temperature sum over threshold"                "K day"
state real thr       ijf phenol 1 -  irh "Thr"        "mean Temperature over current day"             "K"
state real tdy       ijf phenol 1 -  irh "Tdy"        "mean Temperature over current hour"            "K"
state real thr_count ijf phenol 1 -   irh "Thr_count"  "hourly temperature counter"                    "#"
state real tdy_count ijf phenol 1 -   irh "Tdy_count"  "daily  temperature counter"                    "#"
state real dtsumdt   ijf phenol 1 -   irh "dTsum_dt"   "change in Tsum of the previous day"            "K day day-1"

which contains the 2D variables Tsum, Tdy, Thr, Thr_count, Tdy_count and dTsumdt.
All variables should be input (i), read from restart (r) and written to history (h). The idea is that I add a ‘field’ just like 'chem', so that I can access the temperature sum as phenol(i,j,p_tsum). To do that, I added phenol to the package description of etracer_ens:
Code: Select all
package   etracer_ens           emiss_opt==15                -              emis_ant:e_tracer_1,e_tracer_2,e_tracer_3,e_tracer_4,e_tracer_5,e_tracer_6,e_tracer_7,e_tracer_8,e_tracer_9,e_tracer_10,e_tracer_11,e_tracer_12,e_tracer_13,e_tracer_14,e_tracer_15,e_tracer_16,e_tracer_17,e_tracer_18,e_tracer_19,e_tracer_20,e_tracer_ens;phenol:tsum,thr,tdy,tdy_count,thr_count,dtsumdt

The good thing is that it works exactly like I want it to. I can access phenol(i,j,p_tsum) etc in chem_driver.F and emissions_driver.F. The only thing is, that if I run real.exe and wrf.exe, I get a field 'PHENOL' in the wrfinput_d01 and wrfout files, and this is a variable with dimensions (Time, south_north, west_east) variable. The variable seems to contain the data of phenol(i,j,p_dtsumdt), the last variable defined in the registry.

However, I would very much like the other phenol variables to be also written to the history and restart files.
I can't figure out why. I have tried several things, but with no effect.

Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks,
Michiel
MichielvdMolen

Postby Schuch » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:56 pm

You did it?

I trying to add diferent species into emission array (and a new emiss_opt / emis_ant) and i make the folowing:

Into the chem code I create a new emiss_opt into the Registry.chem like this:

package racm_cl_sorg_emiss emiss_opt==23 - emis_ant:e_iso,e_so2,e_hcl,e_no,e_no2,e_co,e_co2,e_eth,e_hc3,e_hc5,e_hc8,e_xyl,e_ol2,e_olt,e_oli,e_tol,e_csl,e_hcho,e_ald,e_ket,e_ora2,e_nh3,e_pm_25,e_pm_10,e_oc,e_sulf,e_bc
(all the e_speces are into registry)

and i wrote some lines into the function "add_anthropogenics" from module_emissions_anthroogenics.F like this:

chem(i,k,j,p_hcl) = chem(i,k,j,p_hcl) &
+emis_ant(i,k,j,p_e_hcl)*conv_rho
chem(i,k,j,p_co2) = chem(i,k,j,p_co2) &
+emis_ant(i,k,j,p_e_co2)*conv_rho

Do you do a diferent alterations to your phenol variables work? you mentioned that changed the chem_driver.F and emissions_driver.F, what changes would?

Thanks
Schuch

Return to Software Engineering