WRF PORTING TO AMD OPTERON SYSTEM

Ideas, problems or suggestions regarding the WRF software.

WRF PORTING TO AMD OPTERON SYSTEM

Postby thgian » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:42 am

Dear WRF users,

I am contacting you since the research team I work for is planning to obtain a new PC system, which will be dedicated to serve the computational needs of WRF. The main characteristics of this new system are as following:

CPU: 4 x AMD Opteron 6172, 12 core socket G34, 2.1 GHz, 12MB L3 cache, 2 x 128-bit DDR3 mem controller, 45nm
RAM: 32 GB

My question is whether the WRF model could be, more or less, easily ported to the above described system. Has already any of you ported WRF to a system similar to the one described above?

Our intention is to exploit this system in order to execute WRF in fully parallel mode (MPI), using INTEL for compilation. I have come to know that the manufacturer of the above system has carried out benchmark tests with the WRF model. However, these tests included separate WRF jobs sent to every single processor. What we need to know, is whether it will be possible to port (and implement) the model in parallel mode, using the compiler of INTEL.

Taking into account that the purchase of this system would cost a reasonable amount of money, I would be deeply grateful to you if you could provide me with some feedback relative to the possibility of
successfully porting the WRF model in parallel mode, using the INTEL compiler, to this system.

I would like to thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

Yours faithfully,
Theodore M. Giannaros
thgian

Re: WRF PORTING TO AMD OPTERON SYSTEM

Postby octet » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:26 am

Hey Theodore,

Did you end up buying your 48 core opteron systems? I have a similar purchase decision to make.

It would be great to get some benchmarks for running in OpenMP (smpar) and MPI modes for n=1,4,8,16,32,48 threads (such that for n=4 it is one thread per socket). I have a suspicion that for this architecture the crossbar switch and memory controller will be oversubscribed with 12 cores per socket.

It would also be interesting to know the relative performance of GCC vs Intel Fortran.

Regards,
Andrew
octet

Postby phoebeke » Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 am

Hi Theodore,
Hi Andrew,
Hi all WRF users,

We have inhouse a server with two 12-core Opteron processors and I plan to install WRF on it.
Do you have any idea where I can get information about the performance on running WRF on such a system (especially computing time?). Could you provide some feedback about your personal experience ?
Thanks very very much in advance for your help,
Best Regards,

Patrick Hoebeke
phoebeke

Postby salmontres » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 am

Hi guys,

I do have to caution you with the Intel compilers. They are designed to be used with Intel architecture, NOT AMD's Opteron chips. I haven't personally tried it, as I have been using a commercial Intel processor with Intel compilers. But, I found a few people who tried to compile other programs with the Intel Compilers while using AMD architecture. They never got passed seg faults. I would suggest using the GNU compilers or the PGI compilers.

Actually, try the GNU compilers first. (They're free! The same can't be said about the other guys...)
salmontres

Postby PattiMichelle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm

I am running WRF on a 4x12 AMD opteron system and it seems to work very well. I use the gfortran compiler that came with OpenSuSE 12.1, and netcdf363. I have seen timings on the internet for gfortran vs intel fortran for general cfd application, and I think the intel is faster.

Patricia
PattiMichelle

Return to Software Engineering