long term run problems

Any issues with the actual running of the WRF.

long term run problems

Postby amohebbi » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:27 pm

I am an experienced WRF user. Recently, I attempted to simulate a 7 year run (2010-2017). Something strange happened on 2016-11-4 hour 18. First ungrib freezes at this date with no error message. I resolved this issue by running ungrib in two attempts one from 2010-2016 and one from 2016 to 2017.Then in real step, again my wrfbdy was only created up to above year without any error messages. WPS and WRF structures are not similar why would both ungrib and real stop at exact the same date? so I thought OK maybe the problem is the computer that I am using, I used another computer with complete different setups and again the same problem. I am starting to think that WRF has a limitation for long runs. I can simply run WRF in two attempts as well but I do not want to.
Has anybody been successful running WRF longer than 6 years, 11 month, 4 days and 18 hours without any problem?

P.S.1 The problem is not the input file as I used both GFS and NNRP and have the same problem.

I really appreciate your feedback.
Amin
amohebbi

Re: long term run problems

Postby amohebbi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:57 pm

After an extensive research, I did not find out any answer to my question. Yet, the only solution to this problem is using the restart option and running model in 5-year intervals. The date mentioned above is the limitation of the model in terms of the length i.e. if you start from 2009 probably the model will start in 2015.
amohebbi

Return to Runtime Problems