Getting Problem in converting TRMM rainfall to MET format

Questions and comments having to do with MET Tools

Getting Problem in converting TRMM rainfall to MET format

Postby harvir » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:38 am

Dear All,

Has anyone try to using TRMM rainfall Netcdf or bin data with MET? If so, which converter did you use to convert TRMM Rainfall data (.nc or .bin) to GRIB1 format? I've tried copygb through Unified Post Processing (UPPv1.0), still I'm unable to convert it for METv3.0.1 usage. Earliest reply will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

--------
Harvir
--------
harvir

Re: Getting Problem in converting TRMM rainfall to MET format

Postby REKHA BHARALI GOGOI » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:40 pm

I dont know whether it will help you or not. But what I have done I want to discuss that part.

I dint convert TRMM to GRIB1 format. I download near real time TRMM data in ASCII format and convert it into MET recognized ascii file and finally to NETCDF format using ascii2nc. Then I can easily use point_stat to compare TRMM rainfall with other data. You can get a sample MET recognized ascii file in the following folder:
/METv3.0/data/sample_obs/ascii

Hope it will help you.
REKHA BHARALI GOGOI

Re: Getting Problem in converting TRMM rainfall to MET format

Postby harvir » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:16 am

Thank you Rekha!
Just now I have seen that you had replied to my post on wrffaurm"Getting Problem in converting TRMM rainfall to MET format". But I have some doubts, like in ascii2nc tool we must have 10 columns and in a ascii file downloaded from TRMM website has only 3 columns viz. Lat, Lon, and Rainfall, then how can I fill up other columns. You have worked on it, I guess, can you send me or tell me about some files i.e. ascii file (TRMM data) and outfile from ascii2nc and scripts you have used for this conversion. Actually I want to verify with WRF output with TRMM and AWS (Rainfall) as observation. I'll be thankful to you for help. Earliest Reply will be appreciated.

PS: You can reply/send files at harvirduphy@gmail.com

Harvir Singh
NCMRWF, NOIDA
harvir

Return to MET Tools