geogrid.exe - Segmentation fault

Any WPS problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category

geogrid.exe - Segmentation fault

Postby halkar » Thu May 15, 2008 10:33 am

Has anyone encountered such problem. I am a new WRF user. I just installed and successfully compiled WRFV3 and WPS. Under WPS directory
after the compilation, geogrid.exe, ungrib.exe, and metgrid.exe have been generated. Now, I was following WRF tutorial and implementing a real case study of 01/24/2000.
Ungrib.exe runs without any problems and generates necessary intermediate files.
But, metgrid.exe gives the following error message
WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error in wrf_io.F90, line 1044
ERROR: Couldn't open file ./geo_em.d01.nc for input.
FORTRAN STOP

since geogrid.exe returned with "segmentation fault" even though it generated the following input file - geo_em.d01.nc
anybody has had this problem? and also I would like to mention something else: WRF tutorial states that I should have plotgrid.exe under
WPS/util directory to plot the model grids. but even though I have ncarg (NCAR graphics) installed in my computer, I don't have this utility program which I think it is very useful to see the model grid coverage before attempting to run the model.
Thank you very much in advance.
Haldun karan
halkar

Re: geogrid.exe - Segmentation fault

Postby porpat80 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:57 pm

You use version netcdf? how size of domain? you use WPS version 2.2 or 3.0 ?
porpat80

Postby jimmyc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:19 am

if geogrid.exe returned with a segmentation fault; then the problem lies with geogrid. Verify by using:
ncdump geo_em.d01.nc |more

and making sure there is data in the file.

If the file is empty, then make sure you have correctly placed all the geog data where geogrid expects to find it. Check the WRF Users guide for more information.
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby scaine2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm

If you are using NMM or anything other than the standard install, make sure that you go to the geogrid directory, check to see where GEOGRID.TBL is linked to, default is to GEOGRID.TBL.ARW, which gave me a seg fault when using the NMM core.

Correct GEOGRID.TBL removes the segmentation fault,

Similary if you have the wrong METGRID.TBL you can get

WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error in wrf_io.F90, line 1044
ERROR: Couldn't open file ./geo_em.d01.nc for input.
FORTRAN STOP

linking the right METGRID.TBL fixed that for more. Note that I thought you used to be able to link the correct versions of these tables into the WPS directory and it would use them, this did not seem to be the case for me reciently, you have to go to the geogrid and metgrid directories and change the links there.

Hopet this helps someone
scaine2

Postby anraj761 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:07 am

If the file is empty, then make sure you have correctly placed all the geog data where geogrid expects to find it. Check the WRF Users guide for more information.
anraj761

Postby richard_n413 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:21 pm

I got a segmentation fault with using geogrid.exe, but I was able to make it run fine by using sudo geogrid.exe. I don't know why you'd need superuser credentials, but apparently I did.
richard_n413

Return to Miscellaneous