Trouble compiling WRF V3.3.1 on Xubuntu 14.10

All things involving the setup (compiling, NetCDF, etc.) of the WRF Model itself.

Trouble compiling WRF V3.3.1 on Xubuntu 14.10

Postby andrewwski » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to compile WRF V3.3.1 on Xubuntu 14.10. I need to use this version as I'm going to be using planetWRF, which is based on V3.3.1. Although planetWRF has its own complete package now, I want to make sure I can run V3.3.1 first - which I currently can't.

I'm using the often-recommended tutorial (http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTuto ... torial.php), which is easy to follow. Following this tutorial, I was able to get V3.6.1 (which was the latest when I last tried a couple months ago) to successfully compile and give me the .exe files. However, when trying V3.3.1, I cannot get it to successfully compile.

Some background:
I am running Xubuntu 14.10 on a 32-bit virtual machine (so in that tutorial, I have changed all the -m64 flags to -m32). I have installed m4 (sudo apt-get install m4). I made sure to install netCDF using --disable-netcdf-4 (installed netCDF version 4.1.3). I've also tried using netCDF 3.6.3, that didn't work either.

In the configure script, I chose option 3, "Linux i486 i586 i686, gfortran compiler with gcc (dmpar)". When I first tried to compile with this, the compile log blew up in size with a bunch of errors where C-style comments in Fortran were not being recognized as comments. So I edited the configure script to have "SFC = gfortran -cpp" which seems to have solved that.

I do have a lot of warnings in the beginning of the compile log 'Warning: Nonexistent include directory "/home/andrew/WRF/Build_WRF/WRFV3/chem"', even though I'm not trying to build with chem. But looking at the configuration, that directory is still included. I'll try taking that out, but I don't think that's causing it to not compile.

There do seem to be some errors with netCDF, for example "/home/andrew/WRF/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(fort-attio.o): In function `nf_put_att_text_':
/home/andrew/WRF/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-4.1.3/fortran/fort-attio.c:14: undefined reference to `nc_put_att_text'".

This seems related to the message I get during configure, "no entry nc.o in archive." I'm not sure what this means, but I've only been albe to find a few things in searching and they indicate it should still compile even with this.

I've included my compile log below. (Note, it's too long to paste in here and I can't find an extension that the board will let me attach, so I've got it on my page...hope that's not a problem). Can anyone offer pointers? Thanks!

Compile log:
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~andrewdi/log.compile
andrewwski

Re: Trouble compiling WRF V3.3.1 on Xubuntu 14.10

Postby raju_attadamsc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:33 am

Dear Friend,
We would like to use planetWRF for some of our research. Can you please share the code with us ?
raju_attadamsc

Re: Trouble compiling WRF V3.3.1 on Xubuntu 14.10

Postby raju_attadamsc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:36 am

Hi,
Please respond to rajuattada@gmail.com.
Thanks a lot
raju_attadamsc

Return to Installation