WRF compile on raspberry pi 2

All things involving the setup (compiling, NetCDF, etc.) of the WRF Model itself.

WRF compile on raspberry pi 2

Postby stansby40 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 pm

I have successfully compiled WRF on a debian based quad core PC but would like to decrease computation time. The idea of a cluster of raspberry pi's seemed a relatively cheap way to build a fast computer. I have recently purchased a raspberry pi 2 and there is some information on the web that WRF can be compiled on a raspberry pi. I have edited the config_new.defaults file to include armv71 as a choice and that appears to work. However the compile results in a lot of errors particularly relating to makefile: recipe for target(s) failed, and a number of mod files cant be found. I successfully built netcdf-4.1.3 and I am using the default gfortran and gcc compilers. Are there any special setup issues involved in compiling WRF on the respberry pi that I am missing?
stansby40

Re: WRF compile on raspberry pi 2

Postby mpalmer » Thu May 07, 2015 11:50 am

If you had a computer hosting WRF, say a desktop or server node that has ubuntu and you compiled WRF on there, you could set up the cluster of raspberry pi's as just compute nodes and not bother installing WRF on each. Note that this requires that the userid and name be identical on all computers and that they must have passwordless ssh between them. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MpichCluster for detailed instructions on a ubuntu system. I assume a similar method could be used for your case.
Michael Palmer, M.Sc.
Predictive Analytics Researcher | Green Power Labs
www.greenpowerlabs.com
mpalmer

Postby everdaniel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:33 pm

mpalmer wrote:If you had a computer hosting WRF, say a desktop or server node that has ubuntu and you compiled WRF on there, you could set up the cluster of raspberry pi's as just compute nodes and not bother installing WRF on each. Note that this requires that the userid and name be identical on all computers and that they must have passwordless ssh between them. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MpichCluster for detailed instructions on a ubuntu system. I assume a similar method could be used for your case.

quick question about this since I want to run WRF on a cluster of Raspberry Pi's as well, it seems that in order to do this, you also need a copy of the wrf.exe on each node and I assume the wrf.exe needs to be compiled for ARM? Is this correct?
everdaniel

Postby everdaniel » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 am

For anyone landing here at some point in the future, I was able to get the WRF running on a cluster of Raspberry Pi's.
I haven't published my notes yet but you can email me directly in the meantime if you need help:
everdaniel at gmail dot com
everdaniel

Return to Installation