Error in Compiling: make[1]: time: Command not found

All things involving the setup (compiling, NetCDF, etc.) of the WRF Model itself.

Error in Compiling: make[1]: time: Command not found

Postby niknok » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi,

This is my first time setting up WRF/WPS. I am compiling on AWS with Alces Flight using Centos. I am able to compile the different libraries, but compiling WRF 3.7.1 i get a log of errors like the one below. I searched and I found 1 issue with the "time" command being a reserved word and suggested using "eval time" instead in the Makefile. I am worried about changing the Makefile. Please adivse.

time mpif90 -f90=gfortran -o real.exe -O2 -ftree-vectorize -funroll-loops -w -ffree-form -ffree-line-length-none -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 real_em.o ../dyn_em/module_initialize_real.o libwrflib.a /home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/external/fftpack/fftpack5/libfftpack.a /home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/external/io_grib1/libio_grib1.a /home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/external/io_grib_share/libio_grib_share.a /home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/external/io_int/libwrfio_int.a -L/home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/external/esmf_time_f90 -lesmf_time /home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/external/RSL_LITE/librsl_lite.a /home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/frame/module_internal_header_util.o /home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/frame/pack_utils.o -L/home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/WRFV3/external/io_netcdf -lwrfio_nf -L/home/ec2-user/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf
make[1]: time: Command not found
make[1]: [em_real] Error 127 (ignored)
niknok

Re: Error in Compiling: make[1]: time: Command not found

Postby kwthomas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 pm

"time" is a shell built-in. It also should be in /usr/bin/time. To have it be not found is very strange.

You can safely remove the word "time" on the FC line of configure.wrf.
Kevin W. Thomas
Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
University of Oklahoma
kwthomas

Re: Error in Compiling: make[1]: time: Command not found

Postby niknok » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It was strange indeed. If I run "time" by itself it runs as expected. Did some web searches and it turns shells sometimes have problems with the time command. Suggestions were to put the full path (as you indicated "/usr/bin/time") or use "eval time" in the makefile when compiling. I used the latter and it worked (in the configure.wrf).

Thanks again!
niknok

Return to Installation