Fatal error after ncl util/plotgrids.ncl

All things involving the setup (compiling, NetCDF, etc.) of the WRF Model itself.

Fatal error after ncl util/plotgrids.ncl

Postby Daniele » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:30 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm absolutely new in the WRF world and I'm trying to install the latest version on ubuntu 16.04. Following the on line tutorial, I'm at the step run GEOGRID. The preliminary operation is to run plotgrids.ncl in order to ensure that my domain is in the right location. Typing

ncl util/plotgrids.ncl

the resulted output is the following:

Copyright (C) 1995-2015 - All Rights Reserved
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
NCAR Command Language Version 6.3.0
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:Could not open ($NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl)
fatal:error at line 7 in file util/plotgrids.ncl

Please, help me! Thanks
Daniele

Re: Fatal error after ncl util/plotgrids.ncl

Postby kwthomas » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Make sure you have the environmental variable $NCARG_ROOT set. This should point to your software release of NCL/NCAR_GRAPHICS

The syntax is shell dependent. For csh/tcsh "setenv NCARG_ROOT some_path" will work. For bash, or any other shell, check the man pages for the syntax.

If you are on a system that uses modules, then loading the correct module (is ncl_ncarg on the system that I'm currently using) should correctly set the environmental variable.
Kevin W. Thomas
Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
University of Oklahoma
kwthomas

Postby Daniele » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:24 pm

kwthomas wrote:Make sure you have the environmental variable $NCARG_ROOT set. This should point to your software release of NCL/NCAR_GRAPHICS

The syntax is shell dependent. For csh/tcsh "setenv NCARG_ROOT some_path" will work. For bash, or any other shell, check the man pages for the syntax.

If you are on a system that uses modules, then loading the correct module (is ncl_ncarg on the system that I'm currently using) should correctly set the environmental variable.

Thank you for the answer, but I'm really bumbling...
Typing: which ncl
The resultant output is: /usr/bin/ncl
So, I've tryied to set the NCARG_ROOT and environment variables through the following command (for bash): export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/bin/ncl but without positive results. I'm going crazy...
Daniele

Postby kwthomas » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:47 pm

You can try setting it to "/usr" and see if you get lucky. If not, talk to your System Admin and \ask when they installed the required libraries.
Kevin W. Thomas
Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
University of Oklahoma
kwthomas

Return to Installation