Streaks in WRF-Chem Chemical Fields

Any issues with running WRF Chemistry

Streaks in WRF-Chem Chemical Fields

Postby adprest » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Dear WRF-Chem Users,

I recently discovered something unusual in my WRF-Chem simulation and was wondering if any of you have ever seen anything like it before. To better illustrate what is happening, I have attached an image (see below) showing the "streaks" (denoted by the white arrows) that I have observed in D01 (left-hand image in NCL) and D02 (right-hand image in NCVIEW). I also have checked the output for other WRF-Chem variables and found similar streak signatures in the eth, ora1, ora2, hc3, hc5, hc8, ald, ket, olt, and self fields.

These streaks seem to originate from the same "point source" throughout the entire WRF-Chem simulation. The image below shows a snapshot of the CO surface field. The problem is that the CO emission field does not have a similar signature near these streak locations. Furthermore, the streaks shown below also occur at almost every other vertical level in my simulation, starting with the first time step. However, there is no strong reflectivity values or vertical motion near these streak positions. That is, the locations seem to be random and without any physical explanation. I am wondering if there is an issue with my WRF-Chem simulation or if I may have overlooked something.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendation on this matter!

Thank you for your time,

Ari
adprest

Re: Streaks in WRF-Chem Chemical Fields

Postby adprest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:29 pm

I figured out that this has to do with a bad biogenic emissions (leaf index) field. I was running a simulation for September and mistakenly set the following values in my megan_bio_emiss.inp file:

BAD SETUP
domains = 3,
start_lai_mnth = 09,
end_lai_mnth = 10,
wrf_dir = '/panfs/storage.local/met/fuelberg/adp10c/WRFV3/run',
megan_dir = '/panfs/storage.local/met/fuelberg/adp10c/MEGAN_DATA'

The above setup (BAD) is what created all of the "streaks" in my chemical fields. Instead, you MUST SET the start_lai month to the month before your simulation is run. This also is mentioned in the README:

GOOD SETUP
domains = 3,
start_lai_mnth = 08,
end_lai_mnth = 09,
wrf_dir = '/panfs/storage.local/met/fuelberg/adp10c/WRFV3/run',
megan_dir = '/panfs/storage.local/met/fuelberg/adp10c/MEGAN_DATA'

This change completely fixed my problem. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Ari
adprest

Return to Runtime Problems