WRF vs. WRF-Chem meteorology

Any issues with running WRF Chemistry

WRF vs. WRF-Chem meteorology

Postby adprest » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Dear All,

Has anyone else compared WRF (chem turned off) and WRF-Chem meteorology fields (i.e., u, v, T, slp, etc.) before? I expected the chemical processes, reactions, etc. to somewhat change the meteorology fields. However, I thought the chemistry would have "minor" effects on the meteorology field. To my surprise, my WRF-Chem TC simulation had a minimum sea level pressure (MSLP) approximately 40 hPa weaker than the exact same WRF TC simulation with chemistry turned off. The location of the TC also was misplaced greatly with the chemistry turned on.

Thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ari
adprest

Re: WRF vs. WRF-Chem meteorology

Postby genito » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:08 am

Hi Ari,
Can we assume there's going to be a change in the chemical composition of the atmosphere when chem is turned on? And therefore the radiative balance will somehow be affected? I once ran some simulations with WRF/Chem 3.5.X and had some results. However I did not continue because I had other priorities...
I am now about to run WRF/Chem 3.8 with FINN data over southern Africa. Maybe we could discuss the results later.

Regards,
Genito
--------------------------------------
GA Maure
Universidade Eduardo Mondlane
Faculdade de Ciências
Departamento de Física
CP258 Maputo-Moçambique
www.uem.mz
--------------------------------------
genito

Re: WRF vs. WRF-Chem meteorology

Postby adprest » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Genito,

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I actually contacted Drs. Georg Grell and Mary Barth about this earlier and they both mentioned that the WRF and WRF-Chem meteorology fields should be the same if the cloud and aerosol radiation feedbacks are turned off.

Hope this helps,

Ari
adprest

Return to Runtime Problems