Issues with RACM chemistry

Any issues with running WRF Chemistry

Issues with RACM chemistry

Postby amt1204 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to run WRF-Chem 3.6.1 with RACM chemistry. I have NEI 2011 anthropogenic emissions and MEGAN biogenic emissions with NALROM initial conditions. When I try to run RADM2 chemistry (chem_opt=2), the chemical fields look fine, after a given amount of spin-up. However, when I try RACM chemistry (chem_opt=2, 103, or 107) many chemical fields are under-produced. For example, ozone is almost one half of what RADM2 produced and both the hydroxyl and hydroperoxyl radicals are very small (one of them were of order machine epsilon).

I thought "perhaps if the NALROM boundary conditions started too small, the chemistry would end up too small." Taking that line of thinking, I used the final result from my RADM2 trial as initial conditions for a new RACM trial (chem_opt=103) and found that the ozone mixing ratios were just as small. However, I did notice that the hydroperoxyl radical did decrease, but not a gradient was still decipherable. The hydroxyl radical, however, only showed a decrease, with little change.

To sum it up, when I use RACM chemistry, chemical fields generally begin small or decrease. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Am I missing something obvious?
amt1204

Re: Issues with RACM chemistry

Postby amt1204 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:08 pm

I figured out a solution to the problem. The KPP was not being coupled, as the directory name leading up to the WRF directory was too long. It has been fixed.
amt1204

Postby adprest » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine that the "KPP" was not being coupled correctly? I just want to to double check to make sure that mine has been with my WRF-Chem simulations. Thanks! I'm glad you were able to figure out a solution to your issue.

Ari
adprest

Postby amt1204 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:01 pm

When I compiled (and also recompiled) I found a statement in the output that said "not running the WRF-Chem KPP coupler. " I also saw a warning that said "If kpp fails here the path to WRF-Chem might be too long for yacc ..." I dug into the kpp compilation code to figure out what was the problem, and tried reinstalling WRF-Chem in the topmost directory I could, and it worked. The frustrating thing was that I saw those errors before I tried to use the KPP, and thought "if it was that big of a deal WRF-Chem would crash." I was wrong.
amt1204

Return to Runtime Problems