New boundaries in plotgrids

Any other graphics packages not listed above.

New boundaries in plotgrids

Postby colombiano » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:39 am

Hi, I'm setting up domains to run WRF in Colombia, South America. I want to be sure domains are well defined, so I'm using plotgrids.exe to check them. Unfortunately, the maps provided by plotgrids are very generic and only include the country boundaries. Can I introduce state and city boundaries into plotgrids? I have them as shapefiles from GIS. Any idea how?

thanks in advance for your help.
colombiano

Re: New boundaries in plotgrids

Postby aerosol » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:52 am

You can use MeteoInfo to do this job.
aerosol

Postby colombiano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Could you please be more specific? I could also use NCL graphics, but I have the same limitation, no state lines for countries other than the US and other few. thanks.
colombiano

Postby colombiano » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks to Rick Brownrigg from UCAR, there is a way to draw features from shapefiles (arcGIS) into NCL codes, an example in (#3 in particular):
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml
this NCL code uses the 'gsn_add_polyline' function. then I overlapped the boundary layers (from a shapefile) to my WRF results. keep in mind that every time you use a 'wrf_map_overlays' function that by default advances the frame. so it's necessary to modify NCL with (thanks to Mary Haley):
pltres@FramePlot = False
pltres@PanelPlot = False
then both layers will be in the same frame and you see your WRF results with boundary layers in the background.
colombiano

Return to Others