I'd like to take the opportunity to show my appreciation for this tool, it works great!
1) I experienced some small weirdnesses: for my parent domain with 8 km grid spacing I set '2m' for the geo input file resolution, but when adding a nest it was reset to '10m' (about 18 km). My input would finally be accepted if I select '2m', then save and exit the program (to be sure), then reload the domain and add the nest. Perhaps a future version could select automatically the geo resolution matching best with that of the model?
2) If I would like every day a different region but the same number of gridpoints, it would be convenient to be able to select a fixed number of x and y points and the distance between them. Then one can simply move these frames around and spend less time on resizing.
3) By the way, the geog file is huge (9.7 GB), one should be prepared for this when setting up a disk partition. Would it be possible in the future to download a selection of tiles instead?
4) The namelist editor is convenient, but one has to put in the correct dates manually. It should be possible with the selection of input files to automatically update this part. The d02 domain grid spacing should be added next to that of the parent domain, it did not accept my namelist without it. I assume the default is stored in a file, I will check which one.
Also the metgrid number of levels inserted automatically, when I selected vertical levels, is 50. It should be 48 in that case. (EDIT: this depends only on the input model data! GFS from NOMADS servers in my case)
5) The automatic vertical level generator has fewer options than I have seen in a previous SIGUI, do they come back eventually?
That said, I am already a very happy modeler with the current release