Problems running domain wizard on OS X

All things relating to the WRF Domain Wizard tool

Problems running domain wizard on OS X

Postby cthomas » Tue May 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi,

I am attempting to use the latest version of WRF Domain Wizard on mac os x 10.5.6 intel with java 1.6.0_07.

When I attempt to set a directory (for example to set the location of the WPS source code, but the same thing happens whenever I attempt to set a directory) I get the following message:

Unable to refresh the listing for /Users/cthomas
Does this directory exist on the local file system?
Do you have the rights to access this directory?

The directory does exist, I do have the rights. I find that I am unable to navigate outside of the /Users directory. If I invoke domain wizard using sudo then the same thing happens.

Has anyone had similar experiences on OS X? Any ideas?

Regards

Chris
cthomas

Re: Problems running domain wizard on OS X

Postby kvanleer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I am unable to get past it. Thank you.
kvanleer

Postby emilystanfford » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:46 am

If you are unable to run the latest version of WRF Domain Wizard which requires Java 5, simply download the this zip file into a directory of your choosing (e.g. c:\WRFDomainWizard or /home/WRFDomainWizard) and unzip it. Then run "run_DomainWizard.bat" (under Windows) or "run_DomainWizard" (under Linux) to launch the program. You can even place a shortcut on your desktop
emilystanfford

Postby meteorpaul » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:15 am

I have the exactly the same problem under OSX running the downloaded version. Did anyone find a solution?
meteorpaul

Postby striges » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:36 pm

I came to exactly same problem today and I finally figured out that because I was using GNU-based "ls" from homebrew, not BSD-based "ls" from /bin/ls. In source codes, domain wizard will call "ls -alpT" on Mac OSX but there is no -T options for GNU ls. You should either use BSD ls in default or change source codes to "/bin/ls -alpT" to force domain wizard executing correct "ls"

Codes could be found in Line 226, LocalConnection.java
striges

Postby striges » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:55 pm

Sorry my previous solution is incomplete. It turns out there is a bug in FileDirPanel.java. Add following lines after Line 1206 and recompile the domain wizard could solve it. I am not sure if there are more similar problems because I haven't tested all functions.

Code: Select all
        if(type == null)
        {
            return (this);
        }
striges

Return to WRF Domain Wizard