Multiple nest levels

Nesting issues in WPS

Multiple nest levels

Postby dbryan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:18 am

I'm a new WRF user with a question about performing a nest within a nest (ie, 3 hierarchical levels).

I was able to run geogrid.exe successfully with those domains. The problem is that, in the namelist.input file, I don't get the values for the e_we or e_sn for the two child levels; I only get them for the parent. Of course, I can figure out those values from the Domain Wizard, but I'm just wondering if it means I've done something wrong or that I could have problems in the future.

Also, should I treat the intermediate level like a parent or a child? I assume I should treat it like a parent.

Also, I should point out that in "deepest" nest (highest-resolution) I've made two separate nests with the same parent. That is, two levels that are equivalent hierarchically.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
dbryan

Re: Multiple nest levels

Postby funkpreacher » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:36 am

The problem is that, in the namelist.input file, I don't get the values for the e_we or e_sn for the two child levels; I only get them for the parent. Of course, I can figure out those values from the Domain Wizard, but I'm just wondering if it means I've done something wrong or that I could have problems in the future.

I am not sure, I understand your question, but you have to specify the grid specifications (including e_we and e_sn) yourself for all your grids. geogrid.exe won't provide that for you. It needs some time and thinking, to get the all the grids consistent and correct. Domain Wizard is a tool that can help you with it.

Also, should I treat the intermediate level like a parent or a child? I assume I should treat it like a parent.

It is both: It is the child of the coarser level and it is the parent of the next finer resolution levels.
To get an clearer idea about these concepts, these slides might help.
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutor ... esting.pdf

Good luck!
funkpreacher

Return to Nesting