WRF NMM version 3 nesting

Nesting issues in WPS

WRF NMM version 3 nesting

Postby muller » Fri May 16, 2008 11:10 am

Hello,

I am trying to carry out a configuration with the last version of WRF NMM with one nest domain. The executable metgrid.exe from WPS does not create the file met_nmm.d* for the nest domain but only those for the coarsest domain. If I look at the source code for metgrid.exe and real_nmm.exe, it is made to work only with one domain whatever the value you put for max_dom in the namelists for WPS and WRF. Do you have an idea about the problem? Is the new version not supposed to perform two-way nesting?
thank you for your help.
muller

Re: WRF NMM version 3 nesting

Postby monty » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:46 am

The metgrid produces output for course domain only, you are required to keep the geo_nmm_nest** file in the ./wrf.exe folder for nested runs.
monty

Postby wrfhelp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:52 am

Please review the documentation on creating input data from WPS for NMM nesting (See both the WPS and WRF chapters on settings you need to change):
http://www.dtcenter.org/wrf-nmm/users/d ... /index.htm

The geogrid run will create multiple files: geo_nmm_d01.nc, geo_nmm_nest_l01.nc...
You will need to copy the geo_nmm_nest* files to the directory where you are running the model in order to run NMM nesting.

--wrfhelp
wrfhelp

Postby muller » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:57 am

Hello,

Is the method for 2 way nesting employed in WRF NMM the same as in WRF ARW?
thanks
muller

Postby wrfhelp » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:57 pm

In order to perform two-way nesting the only change above the changes needed for nesting in general is to set feedback = 1. Again, I refer you to the documentation for further information.
http://www.dtcenter.org/wrf-nmm/users/d ... /index.htm
wrfhelp

Return to Nesting