Landuse altered going from Metgrid to Real

Dataset specific topics involving WPS.

Landuse altered going from Metgrid to Real

Postby wrodgers » Thu May 05, 2011 1:53 pm

I am currently working with custom Landuse and Vegparam tables. I have added 36 categories to the original 24 of USGS. I have made some other modifications that have allowed me to successfully change the landuse and its associated properties in metgrid. However, when I run real.exe the wrfinput has all the landuse as as expected except for water bodies and landuse spatial extent. The water, which should have been 60, is now 1. And with respect to the change in landuse spatial extent, there is a change on the boundaries of a given set of landuses and, in general, increases the spatial extent of the dominat categories.

Does anyone know what property of real would result in such a conversion?
wrodgers

Re: Landuse altered going from Metgrid to Real

Postby wrodgers » Fri May 06, 2011 11:11 am

Since the last post, I was able to alter in WPS/metgrid/src/process_domain_module.F the means of determining dominate land-use. This resolved second problem but not the first. Also, it allowed me to find another problem as well. The new problem is that my water bodies are shrinking. Since both are impacting the water bodies, they may be interrelated.
wrodgers

SOLVED Re: Landuse altered going from Metgrid to Real

Postby wrodgers » Mon May 16, 2011 10:34 am

The problem was resolved by converting landuse 60 to landuse 16. I then edited the LANDUSE.TBL and VEGPARAM.TBL to match at landuse16. I had to then edit the WRFV3/phys/module_physics_init.F to read iswater=16 again instead of 60. I also had to edit the WPS/metgrid/src/process_domain_model.F to read iswater=16. This had to be done while maintaining iswater=60 in the index otherwise the landuse 60 instead of being converted to 16 would default to 1, yes even if I set the iswater to 16 in the index. There is more to investigate but fore all purposes, this is Solved.
wrodgers

Re: Landuse altered going from Metgrid to Real

Postby Samymmk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:54 pm

I am trying to add at least 3 categories to USGS or Modis to run with UCM option 1(three urban usages).
I am very new to that.
Can you tell me what changes did you make. I don't think I need to change LANDUSE.TBL as the urban categories are already in it.
But I still need to change VEGPARM.TBL right?
Thank you
Samy
Samymmk

Return to Working with Various Datasets