Ingesting CCSM data into WPS

Dataset specific topics involving WPS.

Ingesting CCSM data into WPS

Postby mjm » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 pm

WRF users,

I am trying to run the WRF-ARW using CCSM A1B scenario data as the initial and boundary conditions. The data was gathered from NCAR's MSS and is in the raw netCDF format. There is no Vtable for this dataset included with the WPS source code so I assuming I will need to create one.

Does anyone on the forum have experience using CCSM data with WRF? Is any processing of the CCSM data files required before WPS can ingest them, or is only the creation of the proper Vtable required?

Perhaps someone might have a link to a helpful website?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-MJ
mjm

Re: Ingesting CCSM data into WPS

Postby annavonvel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 am

I have the same problem;
have you got any further on this since you posted it on the web?
I've tried to use this

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/utilities/util.htm

- User provided utility to convert CAM netcdf output to WPS/ungrib intermediate file formatted data (CAM2WRF.tgz).

But I have trouble running metgrid after getting the output FILE from CAM2WRF.

Have you solved your problem in any other way? anything helps ....

Regards
Anna
annavonvel

Postby mjm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:01 pm

To anyone who might be interested,

Here are my steps for ingesting CCSM3.0 data in NetCDF format (from NCAR's MSS) into WRF-ARW:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Use the NCO suite of utilities to extract the variables and times that you want from the raw CCSM3.0 output. The end result is a single netCDF file with all the surface and 3D variables over a given time period.

2) Use the NCL function called vinth2p to interpolate the 3D variables in the file to pressure levels.
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/vinth2p.shtml
The problem with this function is that is seems to do a lousy job on the specific humidity variable :(

3) Now comes the fun part , you have to write a fortran code to convert the netcdf file to the wrf intermediate format, here is a link: http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Basics/IM_files/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now obviously the fortran code in step #3 could do the interpolation to pressure levels and thus eliminate the need for NCL and step #2 entirely. For what it's worth these are the steps I followed, probably not the best way of doing things but maybe it will help some of my fellow nerds out there...

If anyone knows of a better (or just simpler way) of ingesting CCSM output into WRF I would be very curious to hear about it.

-mj
mjm

Postby kgzw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 pm

to mjm,

after you generate the intermediate data, Do you need to write the Vtable? or directly run ./met_grid.exe? is there something else?

Thanks,

Jia
kgzw

Postby mjm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Jia,

You can think of my method (in particular step 3 of my previous post) as replacing ungrib.exe. The rest of the WPS system is used as normal. The WRF Intermediated files generated by my method are fed directly into the metgrid.exe program (after running geogrid.exe of course).

Don't worry about Vtables. A Vtable is only used by the ungrib.exe program and are not needed if you are following my method. Good luck! :mrgreen:

-mj
mjm

Postby scapps » Wed May 18, 2011 12:07 pm

I have adapted the CAM2WRF program and am using it. Let me know if you are still looking for a solution.

Thank you,

Scott
scapps

Postby mjm » Mon May 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Scott,

I am curious about your method of ingesting CCSM data into WPS.

Did you have to make serious code changes to the CAM2WRF program? Did you use successfully ingest output from the next interation of the CCSM model (i.e CESM1.0, aka CCSM4.0/CAM4.0) into WPS?
http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/experiments/cesm1.0/

Thanks,
-MJ
mjm

Postby scapps » Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 am

Yes, I did make major changes to the CAM2WRF code (basically, a rewrite) and I updated to fortran90 interfacing with the NetCDF nf90* routines. I have only ingested CCSM3 output. Soon, I will try CESM, I think.
scapps

Postby bereket » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Scott,
I am trying to do similar thing on ingesting CCSM data to WPS. Would it be possible to share your code?
Thanks,
B.
bereket

Postby Cytheria » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm

mjm wrote:To anyone who might be interested,

Here are my steps for ingesting CCSM3.0 data in NetCDF format (from NCAR's MSS) into WRF-ARW:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Use the NCO suite of utilities to extract the variables and times that you want from the raw CCSM3.0 output. The end result is a single netCDF file with all the surface and 3D variables over a given time period.

2) Use the NCL function called vinth2p to interpolate the 3D variables in the file to pressure levels.
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/vinth2p.shtml
The problem with this function is that is seems to do a lousy job on the specific humidity variable :(

3) Now comes the fun part , you have to write a fortran code to convert the netcdf file to the wrf intermediate format, here is a link: http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Basics/IMFake Watchesfiles/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now obviously the fortran code in step #3 could do the interpolation to pressure levels and thus eliminate the need for NCL and step #2 entirely. For what it's worth these are the steps I followed, probably not the best way of doing things but maybe it will help some of my fellow nerds out there...

If anyone knows of a better (or just simpler way) of ingesting CCSM output into WRF I would be very curious to hear about it.

Thanks, really useful. I will try to do this, even though I know there must be a simpler way to do it.
Cytheria

Next

Return to Working with Various Datasets