Running WRF with ECMWF ERA-Interim Dataset

Dataset specific topics involving WPS.

Running WRF with ECMWF ERA-Interim Dataset

Postby SXM » Fri May 08, 2009 1:51 am

Hello,

Although I am quite new to WRF, but I need to use ECMWF-interim data for WRF running.

My question is
1. It looks like the ECMWF-interim data (http://data-portal.ecmwf.int/data/d/interim_daily/) need to be processed before can be used to WRF. Is here any one did it before and would like to share experiences with me? Thanks!
2. Need I change the Vtable for the ECMWF-interim or just keep using the default ECMWF Vtable in the WRF release?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Best,

SXM
SXM

Re: Running WRF with ECMWF ERA-Interim Dataset

Postby lzhang » Tue May 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi,

I also have the same problem. Did you solve this problem?

Thanks!
lzhang

Postby Imewrf » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:43 am

Hi,
Did you solve your problem and did you make some test to analyse the improvement of the ERA interim product ?
Thanks you!
Imewrf

Postby scaine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Copying my response from a different post (Hope this helps)

I managed to get WRF working with ECMWF (interium) so if you want to keep shooting messages we can try and work through till you have it working.

One thing I noticed with my ECMWF files, the data was arranged differently to what WPS expects
i.e. in the ECMWF files the fields would be arranged Temperature, time 1 time 2 time 3, Pressure time 1 time 2 time 3.
Instead of Temperature time 1, Pressure time 1, Temperature time2, pressure time 2. etc

I had to change the data times around before I could get it working.

Hope this helps, If not send more information and I will try again

Simon
scaine

Postby edelweiss » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:39 am

I run WRF several times with ERA-Interim data without any change in Vtable. But I remember that some fields have different names in ERA-Interim. Then you must choose at least Pressure level and Surface data.My basic fields are :

10 m U wind component
10 m V wind component
2 m temperature
2 m Dewpoint temp
Geopotantial
Land-sea mask
Mean Sea Level Pressure
Pressure
Relative Humidity
Sea Surface Temperature
Sea Ice Cover
Skin Temperature
Soil Temperature level 1-2-3-4
Surface Geopotantial
Surface Pressure
Temperature
V velocity
U velocity
Volumetric Soil Water Layer 1-2-3-4
Gökay Bıyık
Istanbul Technical University
edelweiss

Postby Imewrf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Gökay,
thanks you for your quick answer, it will be very useful !
Have a nice day too,
Lionel
Imewrf

Postby lamptey » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Gokay,
Could you kindly explain what you mean by
1) You have to choose pressure level and surface data. In reading the data I choose the sfc data and pl data. Is that what you mean?
2) Where you ensure you have the list of variables you specified since you said you did not make any changes to the Vtable
3) How do you treat the variables which have different names?

Thanks
Ben
lamptey

Postby tomtomme » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 am

Dear ERA Interim users,
even before implementing ERA I encountered the problem of downloading it from the "right" location:

1. Downloading directly from ecmwf works only for a low resolution version of 1.5° and is very very very slow. If you need it for many years it´s like useless, so slow it is. link:
http://data-portal.ecmwf.int/data/d/interim_daily/

2. Downloading via the DKRZ, is not working because they have the data seperated in variables and not in time-steps - but they have it in 0.7°. link:
http://cera-www.dkrz.de/WDCC/ui/findDat ... id=2000059

3. Downloading from BADC is not working because they have ERA only in NETCDF format (0.7°), not in GRIB, and I read that converting may cause data-loss, link:
http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/ecmwf-era-interim/

4. Downloading from UCAR may be the solution (0.7°, GRIB format, time-step separation), but I have no permission yet and don´t know if I will get one..., link:
http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds627.0/
tomtomme

Postby tomtomme » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 am

As UCAR told me today, they are strictly forbidden to give the ERA Interim data to users outside the USA....:"2)
"Data may be distributed by NCAR for use by the UCAR community in North America and for use by the non-UCAR research and educational institutions in the United States (such as NOAA laboratories) for scientific research and educational purposes, provided that they first agree to these conditions of use."

So anyone have an idea where to get the full resolution ERA-I suitable for WRF for a german user??

Thanks, Tom
tomtomme

Postby darnold » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Dear Wrf users,

I am also trying to work with ERA-Interim data in native model levels in a region in Europe and i am encountering some annoying problems that i will proceed to describe.

The procedure (which is simple and easy to follow in theory) i make is the following WITH 6 DOMAINS:
1. run geogrid.exe
2. run ungrib.exe with Vtable.ECMWF_sigma and i get something like:

Code: Select all
[size=50]
PRES   TT       UU       VV       SPECHUMD LOGSFP   SOILGEO  SOILHGT  DEWPT    RH       LANDSEA  PSFC     PSFCH    PMSL     SKINTEMP SEAICE   SST      SNOW_EC  SNOW     ST000007 ST007028 ST0
28100 ST100255 SM000007 SM007028 SM028100 SM100255
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2001.0  X        X        X        O        O        O        O        X        O        X        X        O        X        X        X        X        X        O        X        X        X
       X        X        X        X        X   
   0.6  X        X        X                                                                                                                                                                 

0.6  X        X        X                       
... [/size]

3. arrange a ecmwf_coeffs table (obtained from http://www.ecmwf.int/products/data/technical/model_levels/model_def_60.html
4. run calc_ecmwf_p.exe,
5. run metgrid.exe, and i get:
WARNING: Entry in METGRID.TBL not found for field SOILGEO. Default options will be used for this field!
 Processing 2004-01-29_12
    FILE
WARNING: Entry in METGRID.TBL not found for field SOILGEO. Default options will be used for this field!
Processing domain 6 of 6
 GETH_IDTS:  Month of ODATE =            0
 GETH_IDTS:  Day of ODATE =            0
ERROR: Screwy ODATE: 0000-00-00_00:00:00

This happens only when i use 6 domains. With up to 5 i have no problems at all in metgrid.

In addition to this, when i run real (with a definition of 40 vertical levels up to p_top 5000 ) it warns:
 warning: vapor pressure exceeds total pressure
 setting mixing ratio to 0
 warning: vapor pressure exceeds total pressure

If i work with ERA-interim in pressure levels all works smoothly and wrf ends the runs happy.

Any hint or help will really be helpful and make this user happy!

Regards!
darnold

Next

Return to Working with Various Datasets