LAI data used by WRF

Dataset specific topics involving WPS.

LAI data used by WRF

Postby univers0358 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi,
I am currently preparing inputs for MEGAN, the biogenic emission model, with MODIS LAI and Land Use Cover Data. The WRF runs serve as input of meteorology of MEGAN. I noticed that MODIS LAI data (MODIS products such as MOD15A2H or MCD15A2H) are different from WRF results at the same time and same location. WPS here used the updated land use and land cover data (NLCD 2011). Too many constant LAI (LAI=1.0) appear most portion of the western US according to LAI from WRF simulations. On the discrepancies between MODIS LAI and WRF LAI I have some questions: 1) how WRF/WPS process LAI data? 2) Why does crop land (agricultural area) show so high LAI all year around? 3) Why does the detail spatial structure of LAI as shown in MODIS LAI data, disappear in WRF simulations, especially in the western US. Thank you very much for your help.

Feng
univers0358

Re: LAI data used by WRF

Postby beni » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi,
Did you managed to solve LAI data ingestion? The german ICON-EU model has 3 hourly updated Leaf Area Index GRIB data, but I haven't find the appropriate metgrid variable name while creating the Vtable for it.
beni

Return to Working with Various Datasets