changing METGRID timeout interval?

Having problems running the WRF Preprocessing Sysmte (WPS)?

changing METGRID timeout interval?

Postby pattim » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:40 pm

I am running some LONG simulations, and it takes longer than 1999 seconds for METGRID to process the data, and it halts, reporting a timeout. Is this timeout interval hardcoded into METGRID? I've been searching for an option (say, a command-line option) to increase this timeout interval to, say 3000 seconds, but have not been able to find that. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank You Very Much,
pattiMichelle
pattim

Re: changing METGRID timeout interval?

Postby kwthomas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi...

Are you running the program as an MPI program? If so, you might have run into a node with problems.
Kevin W. Thomas
Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
University of Oklahoma
kwthomas

Postby pattim » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 pm

kwthomas wrote:Hi...

Are you running the program as an MPI program? If so, you might have run into a node with problems.

No, single node only - there are no problems - my dataset is just so big that it takes longer than the default time allowed to process all the data. So the original question stands - is there, say, a command-line argument to set the timeout interval? I've been searching through docs and online...

Thank You!!
pattim

Postby kwthomas » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi...

I don't think it is METGRID that is causing your problem. There is absolutely no reason to add special
code to the WRF software to make it abort after a certain amount of time. It would be complicated to
add the capability. I confirmed this by looking at the code, as I do know how to do it.

I would say that you have an environment setting that has a limit of 2000 secs.

If you use csh/tcsh, type "limit". For bash, type "ulimit -a". Look for something that lists 2000.

You might want to talk to your System Admin to see if they have any ideas.
Kevin W. Thomas
Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
University of Oklahoma
kwthomas

Return to Runtime Problems