Incorrect initialization of surface pressure

Any SI problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category.

Incorrect initialization of surface pressure

Postby dakiesi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello,

i'm a fairly new user to the WRF model. I'm trying to do some semi-idealized simulations with idealized initial conditions but using real terrain.

When i tried to get to know WRF, I stumbled upon something strange:

I unpacked a fresh WRF installation, successfully compiled it without any code modifications in the LES idealized mode. Now when I just want to do an "out-of-the-box" - run, that is take the default namelist and default input sounding, something seems to go wrong: in the input sounding, the first line represents the sate at the surface. By default, this is set to pressure = 1000.0 hPa, theta = 305.0 K, and mixing ratio = 14.00.

However, If I run ideal.exe with these settings and take a look at the wrfinput_d01 file, the surface pressure is equal to zero. I tried that with WRF 3.8.1 and 3.9.1, both same results. I tried it on my laptop, and I tried it on the linux cluster of my university.

My question is now: Is that a bug or do i make some trivial but stupid mistake here?

Thank you in advance for your help
cheers
dakiesi

Return to Miscellaneous