Hi Res terrain data

Dataset specific topics involving SI.

Hi Res terrain data

Postby ltlogan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Is WRF/WPS capable of utilizing 1 ft resolution terrain data? as well as higher res vegitation layer data.
I have access to such data, I'm told data is in ascii file and is it worth trying to convert to grib data for WPS to use and can WRF really utilize greater the 30s resolution terrain data? If it does, how precise can it handle and how accurate would even be useful given the weather equations and dynamics? Or where should i look to find answer?
Currrently runing WRF with smallest nest at 1.3km resolution.

I am a computer guy not a weather guy, and have only started getting into the code itself. So forgive if I am trying to over data the model.

Patrick
ltlogan

Re: Hi Res terrain data

Postby mjm » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 am

WRF can most definitely handle higher resolution terrain data than that USGS 30s data. Here is a website that describes using 10 m terrain data, though I have never actually tested their method:
http://www.nusculus.com/Home/main-resea ... ata-in-wrf

However, to the best of my understanding, there is no advantage to using higher resolution terrain data than the grid spacing on your innermost nested grid. 30 seconds is approximately 1 km so unless you are going sub-kilometer with your grid spacing I wouldn't bother with higher resolution terrain data.

-mj
mjm

Re: Hi Res terrain data

Postby sdk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 am

Is there global high resolution terrain data? 100m or 10m?
-sk
sdk

Return to Working with Various Datasets