should grid cell dimensions be the same?

Any problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category.

should grid cell dimensions be the same?

Postby Manolis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:34 am

I am running WRF in a European grid (lat-lon projection). My grid cell resolution is 0.125˚x 0.0625˚, with total number of cells 400 x 560. Recently I sent a question to wrfhelp for another matter attaching my namelist. He pointed it out to me that it's strange that I run WRF with different dx,dy and when I asked if this can be a problem (which I never thought it would be) he told me that he is not sure but they never run WRF with different dx, dy.
So, should the dimensions of the cell be the same? If yes, how can this affect the results if not the same?

Thanks
Manolis

Re: should grid cell dimensions be the same?

Postby winash12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:55 pm

I can confirm it should be the same.
winash12

Postby Manolis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:33 am

Thanks for the reply, but I have to ask why is that? I came across several studies with WRF which didn't have the same resolution in the 2 dimensions.
Manolis

Postby winash12 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:55 am

This is the response I got from wrfhelp two years ago.

"This is because WRF/WPS involves lambert corformal, polar stereographic, mercator and lat-lon projections. The transformation for the first three projection is isotropic. The isotropic transformation requires dx/dy = constant everywhere on the grid."

Regarding the math of it or the explanation of the GIS part of it

you can ask about the details here - http://gis.stackexchange.com/

There are GIS and mathematical experts who can guide you on that answer.
winash12

Return to Miscellaneous