WRF over MM5

Any problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category.

WRF over MM5

Postby orestis25 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a discussion concerning the change from MM5 to WRF.

What made the change so necessary?
What are the key features of WRF that made it superior (in which ways?) to the MM5.

I did search the internet but failed to find a complete discussion.

Any ideas would be very helpful, take care
orestis25

Re: WRF over MM5

Postby jimmyc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Have you read the technical description of WRF? I would also recommend looking at Bill Skamarocks website at NCAR.

basically the dynamics are better represented:
WRF has about 7 delta x resolution, compared to around 10 delta x resolution for MM5.

The physics are about the same, except for major updates in microphysics, radiation, maybe boundary layer too.

The positive definite advection of water vapor is a big step forward. The Runge Kutta integration technique is superior to the leap frog scheme used by MM5.

Is the modeling system better? That varies by modeling group. Some people have moved away from MM5 because it isnt supported, some people havent switched because WRF is new, some people like the MM5 results better.
jimmyc
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Re: WRF over MM5

Postby orestis25 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:07 am

Yes, I did read the technical description and
now I'm going through Bill Skamarocks website!

I am particularly interested in the mass consistency advantages of WRF, with future coupling with chemical models.

Thanks for the help
orestis25

Return to Miscellaneous