Couple WRF with NEMO (ocean-atmosphere-coupling)

Any problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category.

Couple WRF with NEMO (ocean-atmosphere-coupling)

Postby jan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 am

I hope this is the right forum for my question.

I´d like to couple WRF to a global ocean model (NEMO 3.1 or 3.3). NEMO contains an high resolution nesting in the tropical Atlantic. The aim is to couple WRF via the OASIS3 or OASIS4 coupler with NEMO. There are 2 options:
- To couple NEMO with WRF both as a global model, each containing a nesting in the same area (tropical Atlantic)
- To couple NEMO with WRF as a regional atmospheric model only over the tropical Atlantic (the nested area in NEMO) and including some land area around

My questions to this forum are:
Has anybody of you done something similar before and can provide me some experiences concerning the coupling stuff?
Do you know publications or people dealing with the coupling of WRF to an ocean model?

I´m looking forward to hearing from you!
jan

Re: Couple WRF with NEMO (ocean-atmosphere-coupling)

Postby hrwinterbottom » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi Jan,

I have coupled a regional WRF-ARW (v2.2) to a regional HYCOM (the NAVOCEANO v90.3). I first explored the OASIS option via a recommendation from a colleague. However, I was unable to correctly implement. I also tried MCT and a (very) early version of ESMF. I finally gave up and wrote my own coupler (which we are currently using for some studies).

I you are interested, I can provide some more details or point you to a draft of our manuscript if that will help.

Best,

Henry
hrwinterbottom

Postby lufgutierrezac » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Henry,

I'm trying to couple WRF and ROMS with OASIS3-MCT but I could not achieve it.
Can you help me from your experience to find the best way to do it?

Thank in advance.

Luisa
lufgutierrezac

Postby Sesco » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:24 am

It would be great if this could be done. Did someone figure this out over the years?
Sesco

Return to Miscellaneous