soil moisture and temperature

Any problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category.

soil moisture and temperature

Postby mel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:45 am

Hi,

I'm wondering is anyone can tell me how, if at all, input soil temperature and moisture are used past the initial time. They appear in the initial conditions file, if I include them in preprocessing. I would really like to know if they are used after the initial time in the inner part of the domain...for any of the LSMs or to calculate any other field. My reason for asking is that I would really like not to have to input those fields past the initial time, I just don't want the WRF to use the other times if I fill them with zero's if it turns out it does use them. This may be a pretty basic question, and I'm guessing that it doesn't use them, but I just want to make sure. If someone could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
mel

Re: soil moisture and temperature

Postby jimmyc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:16 am

The purpose of the LSM is simulate soil temperature and moisture. The model needs them to compute the surface fluxes of heat and moisture. You need soil moisture and temperature after the initial time for the lateral and surface boundary conditions.
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby mel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 pm

If soil temperature and moisture are being used after the initial time for surface boundary conditions, do you know where these values are located after running real.exe? From what I've found there are only lateral boundary conditions in the wrfbdy file and none of these are sub-surface variables. The only place I can find these variables after running real is in the wrfinput files - and that is obviously only for the initial time. Where else could WRF be receiving soil values from if not in these files?

Pardon my confusion, but I'd really like to get this right.
mel

Postby jimmyc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 pm

My apologies. You are right the variables are not in the bdy files. I assumed the deep soil temperature was constrained but the LSM must handle this computationally rather than as BC's (I believe this was the way MM5 did it).

So to address your original concerns it appears that only soil T and Moisture are used at the initial time. These variables are prognostic according to the respective LSM. You can search for TSLB in the LSM's to follow how temperature is updated according to the respective soil temperature model.
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby mel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:19 am

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought there would be some constraint too, but I guess not (which is what I was actually hoping for).
mel

Return to Miscellaneous