Fixed boundary conditions - Repost from old forum

Anything related to the idealized simulations in WRF.

Fixed boundary conditions - Repost from old forum

Postby malonso » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 am

Hi All,

I wish to impliment a idealised simulation with the values on one boundary held constant. Eventually, I am hoping to impliment a new boundary condition option to do this.

Has anybody had any experience working with the boundary conditions in the idealised simulations, who has done this already?

Thanks,
Sarah
malonso
Site Admin

Re: Fixed boundary conditions - Repost from old forum

Postby malonso » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 am

Hi Sarah,

I would also like to set up a constant inflow condition in an idealised case.

At the moment, I'm achieving this with a pretty horrible hack -- I've added code to set the various *tend arrays to zero near the end of the subroutine "rk_tendency" in dyn_em/module_em.F

Have you made any progress towards implementing your own constant BC, or have otherwise discovered a more elegant way of doing this yourself?

Cheers, Alan.
malonso
Site Admin

Postby malonso » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 am

Hi Alan,

Your email has excellent timing! I have recently returned to the problem, as a number of people have expressed interest in fixing the inflow at the boundary.

I ended up modifying my experiments so that the constant inflow was 25m/s. At this speed, the open boundary conditions permit no waves to radiate upstream (this is detailed in Chapter 6 of the tech notes - Lateral Boundary Conditions, and implemented in module_advection).

I did attempt a similar hack to you when I first posted this question, but found that it quickly generated instabilities. I cannot however be sure this was not just user error - I was quite green with the code then. I was planning on returning to the problem later this week. I'll keep you posted!

Cheers, Sarah
malonso
Site Admin

Postby malonso » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 am

Hello,
I'm also trying to implement fixed boundary conditions in idealized cases.
I've modified the module advect_em.F to have a fixed inflow wind speed on one or more boundaries. The problem that I've experienced is a mass drift after some integtration time, so that pressure and temperature are decreasing more or less linearly with time and eventually the simulation crashes getting CFL > 1.
Does some of you have the same problem and/or hints on how to deal with that?
Any suggestion will be appreciated,
francesco
malonso
Site Admin

Postby tomk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:33 am

Has anyone found a good way to do this?

Perhaps there is a way to use WRF's own "specified" option for the inflow, and an "open" boundary for the outflow?
tomk

Postby engrossment » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 am

could you offer some ideas about implementing inflow boundary condition. really appreciate it :cry:
why can't just modify the module_bc.F to make a constant boundary condition?
engrossment

Return to Idealized Simulations