ndown only for last nested domain

Discuss the nesting capability within the model itself and any problems you might have run into.

ndown only for last nested domain

Postby bebop » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:34 am

Hello, I need some help with ndown

I have 4 domains all nested like this :
d01 -> d02 -> d03 -> d04

I ran a first simulation with all domains (max_dom = 4) and I got these files:
- wrfout d01 to d04,
- wrfrst d01 to d04,
- wrfinput d01 to d04,
- wrfbdy d01 (I only got it for domain d01),
- wrflowinp d01 to d04

I am trying now to run ndown only for domain d04. Its domain parent is d03.

Is it possible ? Because the only examples I could find show an howto for a 2 domains run.
Then, I don't know how to manage my namelists (.input and .wps), if I have to change something about the nests. I also don't know what to do since I don't have wrfbdy d03.

Do you know how to run ndown this way?
Should I have the wrfbdy_d03?
Thank you for help.
bebop

Re: ndown only for last nested domain

Postby bebop » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 am

Finally I could run ndown.exe for my domain 3. I just needed wrfout_d02 and wrfinput_d03 files.
I renamed them as wrfout_d01 and wrfndi_d02 and followed what tutorial says.
ndown creates wrfbdy_d02 and wrfinput_d02 as expected.
I have to rename them to wrfbdy_d01 and wrfinput_d01 according to the wrf manual.

Actually, these 2 files refer to my domain 03. At this step, I already changed my namelist.input from 4 domains to 2 domains, moving all corresponding columns: domain 3 becomes domain 1 and domain 4 becomes domain 2. Then, DX and DY should match with the new wrfinput files.
I did it as well in the namelist.wps because I needed to rerun real.exe so I can get a new wrfinput for domain 2 (actually domain 4).

When I run wrf.exe, I got mismatch between dx,dy file and namelist. It happens when I use wrfinput file from ndown. I also tried with the old wrfinputs from my 4 domains run (wrfinput_d03 as wrfinput_d01 and wrfinput_d04 as wrfinput_d02), but I have the same error.

When I use wrfinput_d01 (actually domain 03) and wrfinput_d02 (actually domain 04) got from real.exe I ran after ndown, it seems to work.

Any idea about this new problem?

Thank you
bebop

Postby ricardofaria » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:43 am

Hi,
I'm trying to run a real WRF-LES, my case is 3 coarser domains with WRF and 2 finer domains with LES.
Tried to run real.exe with 5 domains but only simulate 3 coarser nested domains with WRF, then use ndown.exe with wrfout_d03* as a wrfout_d01* (from WRF simulations) and wrfinput_d04 as wrfndi_d02 (from real.exe), then rename the wrfbdy_d02 and wrfinput_d02, from ndown.exe, to wrfbdy_d01 and wrfinput_d01 then copy wrfinput_d05 from WRF simulation and rename to wrfinput_d02 then run WRF-LES. But it only simulates the new d01 previous d04 and not the new d02 previous d05.
Looks like ndown.exe didn't include my domain5 boundary conditions into wrfbdy_d01.

I appreciate any help.

Best regards,
Ricardo Faria
ricardofaria

Postby dataiyang » Mon May 08, 2017 11:41 pm

hi,

I am facing the same problem.Have you resolved it? Can you give me some advice?
ricardofaria wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to run a real WRF-LES, my case is 3 coarser domains with WRF and 2 finer domains with LES.
Tried to run real.exe with 5 domains but only simulate 3 coarser nested domains with WRF, then use ndown.exe with wrfout_d03* as a wrfout_d01* (from WRF simulations) and wrfinput_d04 as wrfndi_d02 (from real.exe), then rename the wrfbdy_d02 and wrfinput_d02, from ndown.exe, to wrfbdy_d01 and wrfinput_d01 then copy wrfinput_d05 from WRF simulation and rename to wrfinput_d02 then run WRF-LES. But it only simulates the new d01 previous d04 and not the new d02 previous d05.
Looks like ndown.exe didn't include my domain5 boundary conditions into wrfbdy_d01.

I appreciate any help.

Best regards,
Ricardo Faria
dataiyang

Return to Nesting