Error: opening too many files in ndown - Katrina case study

Discuss the nesting capability within the model itself and any problems you might have run into.

Error: opening too many files in ndown - Katrina case study

Postby steele_c » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:57 am

Hi

I've been working through the Katrina case study one way nesting example and have hit a problem. When I'm running ndown, I get an error message stating: fatal called: error opening too many files. I'm pretty new to all of this and I'm not entirely sure whats causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Chris
steele_c

Re: Error: opening too many files in ndown - Katrina case study

Postby shizhuoliu » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:44 pm

I got the same error, no clue what is wrong. Is there anyone could help?
Thanks in advance!
shizhuoliu

Re: Error: opening too many files in ndown - Katrina case st

Postby dingwell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 am

I guess you already solved this by now, but for the record I'll post a reply.

I got this problem recently (using WRF3.4), the mistakes were made when preparing for ndown.exe (step 2 in ARW user guide).

The short answer to the questions:
Carefully follow the steps in the "ARW version 3 modelling system user's guide" (Chapter 5: WRF Model)

The source of this error message (at least in my case):
  • I was running real.exe for both domains and not just the inner, which gave me the files wrfinput_d01 and wrfinput_d02.
  • Then I renamed wrfinput_d02 to wrfndi_d02.
[*]When trying to run ndown.exe it crashed and I got this error message.

The problem here is that since d02 is not the main domain, wrfinput_d02 only contains the initial input field. Whereas wrfinput_d01 contains additional input for the rest of run.
ndown.exe seems to determine the number of accepted files based on records in wrfndi_d02 (?) but tries to read fields according to the other settings, which in this case are set up for something else.

How it should be done:
  • Run real.exe for d02 as the main domain, in practice this means, remove d01 from namelist.input so that the first domain is your old d02 and rename met_em.d02* to met_em.d01*
  • Rename wrfinput_d01 to wrfndi_d02
  • run ndown.exe
dingwell

Re: Error: opening too many files in ndown - Katrina case st

Postby Stella@88 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi dingwell,

Thank you for sharing the information, it is really helpful. I am new to WRF-Chem. I tried to run WRF-chem using one-way nested method. And I met the same error as yours. But I still have some questions.

1. In your solution, you mentioned that run real.exe for d02 as the main domain. Did you mean we should remove all setting for d01 from namelist.input or just switch setting of d01 and d02?

dingwell wrote:How it should be done:
  • Run real.exe for d02 as the main domain, in practice this means, remove d01 from namelist.input so that the first domain is your old d02 and rename met_em.d02* to met_em.d01*
  • Rename wrfinput_d01 to wrfndi_d02
  • run ndown.exe

2. Should I rename all the input files (wrfbiochemi_d02, wrffirechemi_d02 and wrfem_*_d02) for d02 to d01, then run real.exe?

3. What about the other input files generated by real.exe for domain 2?

I am hoping you can help me with those issues. Thanks for your attention

Thanks,
Stella
Stella@88

Return to Nesting